Founded in May 2003, our college initially affiliated Department of Biological Science and Technology (since 1994), Institute of Biochemical Engineering (since 2001) and Institute of Bioinformatics (since 2002), aiming at educational training and research in the field of fundamental biological science as well as its applications to biotechnology. Our faculty have been conducting excellent interdisciplinary research and collaborations with experts in biology as well as physical and information sciences. Nevertheless, in addition to proteomics and molecular genetics, our expertise also covers bioinformatics and biophotonics, biopharmaceutical, biochemical, protein and enzyme engineerings, as well as industrial microbiology and chemical biology.
Dean of the college
|Jenn-Kang Hwang Professor and Dean Bio-computational Lab
Education: Ph.D., University of Southern California
Research Areas: Structural Bioinformatics, Systems Biology, Molecular Simulation
Vice Dean of the college
|Shinn-Ying Ho Professor and Vice Dean Intelligent Computing Lab
Education: Ph.D., National Chiao-Tung University, Taiwan
Research Areas: Evolutionary computation, Computational biology, Systems biology
The following academic programs for students are available at present:
Department of Biological Science and Technology (undergraduate, master and PhD programs)
Institute of Molecular Medicine and Biochemical Engineering (master and PhD programs)
Institute of Bioinformatics ans Systems Biology (master and PhD programs)
- Features of Development
We are the first college of biotechnology of which organization creatively encompasses the Research Center of Bioinformatics within the infrastructure. In light of current excellent achievement in the fields of electronic engineering and computer sciences at National Chiao Tung University in Taiwan, we intend to bring our well-established experiences into the area of biomedical research. It is a milestone in Taiwan's academic research, which integrates the multidisciplinary scientists from various fields of electronic engineering, mechanics, computational sciences, biochemistry, molecular biology, microbiology, biotechnology, and bioinformatics into a teaming research. Communications with global academic institutions are being maintained, including international student exchange programs as well as collaboration with foreign and domestic universities and also with local industries.
- Current Targets
- To inspire students pursuing biological science and technology or related fields as future career.
- To identify the cause and the genes involved in genetic disorders.
- To delineate the pathogenic mechanisms for metabolic diseases.
- To search for the molecular targets that may potentially function for the therapeutic intervention.
- To explore the markers for early diagnoses in preventive medicine.
- To understand the protein structure and function which correlate to the gene functions.
- To retain the best bioinformatics research center so as to promote bioinformatic research and education.
- To develop platform technology in photoelectronics and mechanics used in biomedically related sciences.
- To derive the theory in photoelectronics mimicking biological vision system.
- To establish a brain research center in collaboration with Yang Ming University, National Tsing Hua University and National Central University.
- Future Expansion
There are currently four research-oriented academic institutes within our college, in terms of Biological Science and Technology, Bioinformatics, Biochemical Engineering and Biomedical Science. Others topics such as biophotonics, and protein and enzyme engineering will be also integrated into degrees programs in the near future. Novel targets emphasis on the promotion of globalized collaboration and developments in pratical biotechnical products, for instance, biochip, biosensor, artificial vision and arm systems, as well as biofuels. Transformation into the leading colleage in bioinformatics and biomedical-related research is our ultimate goal.